My Fitness Pal - Username: Flossykirk

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Saturday, February 14, 2009

FIREPROOF - Never Leave Your Partner Behind

If you have never seen this movie, I highly recommend it. My husband and I watched it at the Ronald McDonald House with several other husbands and wives and there was not a dry eye in the room thru the whole thing! Seriously ..... we all know women are sensitive, but if you think men are not sensitive too, you haven't ever watched this movie with a bunch of men!

The story is of a firefighter and his wife, who are entwined in a very troubled marriage. There are "fighting" scenes that made my stomach hurt, only because I have been there, and the memories are quite painful. The husband doesn't feel respected or appreciated, the wife doesn't feel cherished or loved. Those combinations make for a lose-lose situation. Thru the planning of the dissolution of their marriage, the husband is challenged by his father to learn the true meaning of committment and love. You have to see the movie to appreciate the lessons in it.

I cried the whole way thru this movie. I felt I could really relate with the couple on-screen. Though my marriage now is not anything like I have ever experienced before, the pain of failing marriages haunts me. This movie removed a lot of guilt in my heart that I was not totally and completely responsible for my last marriage failing. The relationship I had with Joe is the one that haunts me .... it seemed so hopeless, but only because there wasn't willingness on BOTH sides to turn the marriage over to GOD, to live by His principles and commandments, to really KNOW God and what He wanted for our family, and to be an example for other blended families going thru much of the same circumstances we went thru. Our marriage wasn't good if you ask me ... and miraculously, Joe says the problems weren't as bad as I like to make them out to be. Regardless ... there were problems that needed fixing and mending, and he wasn't willing to do what it takes to make things right and good for our family.

My husband and I talked a lot after this movie. He is such a patient and understanding man. I cried a lot after we saw this movie and even he knew it was because I felt in my heart that not everything was done to try to save my marriage to Joe. There is great guilt in that, but I will work thru it one day. The sad part is that Joe and I do not agree on how things were in our marriage. Since we could not come to an agreement on the problems (I thought they were really bad, he has said many times they weren't bad at all) then there was going to be no agreeable solution to mending things. I wish I had had the strength to serve him even in times he was abusing me. I had just had enough that I wasn't that strong. It was a great lesson learned for me. Thankfully, I do not have to worry about that now ... my husband is a very patient, loving, and kind man. He understands everything that I go thru emotionally, and he helps me thru it. He is there for me in everything, even those things that others might think he should not "understand" or that he should be angry about me feeling .... he simply isn't, and that makes him the best man to be with me forever.

I just think this movie has such a strong moral to it, its a story of faith when you can't see the benefits of your actions, its a lesson in loving someone when they reject your love (as many of us have done with our own God from time to time!) .... the story of committment - Jesus is committed to each and every one of us even while he waits on us .... the story of TRUE love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.